Hand Hygiene Facts
Poor hand hygiene world impact
- Presently, 60% of all healthcare staff does not comply with hand hygiene as recommended by the World Health Organisation.
- Poor hand hygiene is the main cause of cross-infection between people.
- Hospital-acquired infections kill 16 million lives – more than AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis combined.
- In the West, they are the second biggest cause of mortality, tied with strokes.
- Poor hand hygiene accounts for around 100,000 hospital-infections and 3200 deaths per year in Denmark.
- It kills 200,000 persons in the United States each year. The equivalent of a 747 airliner crashing every day.
- Hospital-acquired infections, caused by poor hand hygiene, currently account for 16 million extra bed-days in Europe.